Re: [codec] this weeks summary

"Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <rchen@broadcom.com> Wed, 12 May 2010 19:13 UTC

From: "Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <rchen@broadcom.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:00:57 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] this weeks summary

Hi Cullen,

In my original email discussion of VoIP gateways, I did not use the
phrase "ultra-low delay".  What I did say was that due to the large
number of voice channels that the DSPs and the (possibly two layers of)
micro-controllers have to handle simultaneously, the timing/scheduling
can be quite complex, and the necessary buffering at the (possibly
three) hierarchical layers of processors can add substantial delay.
Therefore, the worst-case codec-dependent one-way delay may be up to 5X
to 6X the codec frame size before delay optimization, and even after
the engineers "optimize the delay to death", they could only manage to
get the worst-case codec-dependent delay down to around 3X codec frame
size.

Again, I didn't come up with that myself.  A senior technical guy who
was deeply involved in high-density VoIP gateway designs told me that,
and another technical guy who worked at a different company than the
first guy and who was involved in the design of a different VoIP
gateway based on a different DSP chip and a different system
architecture independently gave me a range of codec-dependent one-way
delay around 3X codec frame size, and he didn't know that I talked to
the first guy.

Due to this 3X multiplier, an increase in the codec frame size will
have a larger delay impact in VoIP gateways than, say, a softphone
that has a lower multiplier.  Perhaps it was due to this larger
multiplier that Christian used the phrase "ultra-low delay", but I
myself didn't use that phrase.

I hope this answered your question.

Best Regards,

Raymond