Re: [conex] Abstract marking and encoding in IPv6

Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> Mon, 15 November 2010 14:19 UTC

From: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
To: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>, "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:20:31 +0100
acceptlanguage: sv-SE, en-US
Cc: "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Abstract marking and encoding in IPv6

Hi

The possible issue I see with GUT is that endpoints need to be upgraded to understand GUT, of course any endpoint needs to be upgraded anyway to understand ConEx so this is probably not an valid issue.
The second issue is the additional packet overhead caused but GUT. I admit that you have an additional overhead (8 bytes?) with IPv6 hop-by-hop options but this overhead is bigger.
But.. sure, it may perhaps be the best alternative at least for experimental use.

/Ingemar