Re: [conex] Abstract marking and encoding in IPv6

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Fri, 12 November 2010 15:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:50:05 +0000
To: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: "conex@ietf.org" <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Abstract marking and encoding in IPv6

Rich, Ingemar,

I like Marcelo's idea of an interim session on encoding (presumably by audio).

Beyond the 3 techniques in Suresh's presentation,
there are two other possibilities I can think of:
4) (proposed by Lars) use bits in an existing v6 hop-by-hop options header
5) use GUT <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-manner-tsvwg-gut/>

4) The idea here is that the IPv6 main header is
not the only header that today's v6 routers
already support that might offer some space. For
instance there might be a possibility to
re-purpose the IPv6 fragmentation header (I chose
this particularly, because we might be able to
repeat the same trick in the fragmentation fields
of the IPv4 header). There might be ideas for
using other existing v6 hop-by-hop headers too.

5) Here's an intro to why GUT could be a
principled alternative, which I recently sent
offlist to the authors of <draft-ietf-6man-exthdr>:

>GUT was originally designed for tunnelling new
>transport layer protocols. But in a change
>between -01 and -02 we took the insight from Rob
>Hancock that any router with IP header extension
>code will know where to look, so it's
>unnecessary to have routers that don't know
>about new extensions checking through a string
>of extensions looking for stuff they don't have code for.
>
>Instead, we hid IP extension headers behind a
>UDP header. Packets then go through NATs,
>firewalls and any assorted meddleboxes and muddleboxes.
>
>And you don't get punted to the slow path.
>
>Although it doesn't look principled, it depends
>how you look at it - see Tng (transport next-gen).
>
>We still need to define the principles for how
>it interacts with IPsec etc. So I'm not saying
>it's completely thought through. But it works.

There's been some conversation on GUT between us
since, that we ought to summarise to the ConEx list once it has finished.

Bob