Re: [decade] draft-ohlman-decade-add-use-cases-reqs-00

"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Thu, 25 March 2010 21:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:02:57 -0400
From: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: decade@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [decade] draft-ohlman-decade-add-use-cases-reqs-00

Dear Ove,

I just read
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohlman-decade-add-use-cases-reqs-00. It
is a good, forward-looking document. I feel that it is fair to ask
DECADE to support one additional application beyond (chosen) P2P
applications.

Thinking about your data-reuse requirement, I feel that it is an
important but non-trivial requirement. Avoiding duplicate transmissions
between DECADE servers can address the middle-mile problem (see slide 10
of the Akamai presentation:
http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs435/cs435-spring-2010/readings/Akamai_2009_analystday_presentation.pdf).
On the other hand, should this be addressed be DECADE or another
protocol/mechanism?

Consider a concrete example, where both clients A1 and A2 intend to
upload the same content block B to a Decade server S.

A1 --------> Decade server S <----------- A2

If both A1 and A2 upload to S, the system uses network resources twice.
There are several ways to remove the duplication: Consider the following
two options:

[O1] A1 uploads content block B to S; When A2 uploads, DECADE allows A2
to detect that block B is already at S and avoid transfer. The detection
can depend on naming, and hashing (with bloom filtering).

[O2] If the paths from A1 to S and A2 to S share common links that use
WAN compression, then the WAN compression can remove the duplication on
those links without the need of DECADE support.

I feel that [O1] is more general but add complexity to DECADE. One sure
can extend the reuse-case analysis to more complex settings of reuse
across DECADE servers.

It clearly is an item that should be discussed at the WG.

Cheers,

Richard