Re: [Detnet] New Version Notification for draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements-03.txt

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 07 October 2022 17:47 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 19:46:44 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com>, detnet <detnet@ietf.org>, draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements <draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] New Version Notification for draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements-03.txt

Hi Lou,

thanks a lot for the review!

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 09:24:39AM -0400, Lou Berger wrote:
> Hi Peng,
>
> Thank you for the update.  I think the clarifications are quite helpful.  I
> still have a few comments:
>

> - I remain a bit uncomfortable the use of relative measures as a means to
> define "large-scale" - e.g, "The link delay between network nodes is
> larger..." - I think this is largely answered by section where specific
> technical requirements are defined.  I think it would be best if the
> description in the introduction (more) closely aligned with the requirement
> areas/topics called out in that section (4).

How about adding a pargraph like the following to the Intro to introduce
the term "large scale networks" ? Of course, we should strive to find
more accurate cutover points for all points as much as possible, but
hopefully we can do this as part of WG work (e.g.: links longer than 10
miles at 100Gbps to precise the link delay. TSN participant knowledge would
be handy here!).

| Large-scale networks in the context of this document are networks that
| require DetNet solutions for typically more than one of the requirements
| in this document: multiple administrative domains, link speed in excess of
| 10Gbps, no or relaxed clock synchronization, Links with large propagation
| latencies and possible jitter, support for large number of flows exceeding
| the ability to support per-hop, per-flow forwarding state and resiliency in
| the face of link/node and other failures as well as topology changes.

> - A more minor comment - While the reference to "Local area network" may be
> applicable to TSN, I think the current text mistakenly reads as if current
> DetNet only to "Local area network".

If you have specific places in the doc, let us know. Right now i can see
three places where local network / LAN are used, and it seems they could also
say "TSN network". Would that solve your point ?

> - You include high speed links as part of what what defines a "Large-scale"
> DetNet.  My understanding is that any rate link is supported via current
> DetNet definitions.  I do agree that number of flows can be used to identify
> a "large-scale" DetNet (independent of link speeds).

How about inseting this into 4.3:

| While the current DetNet architecture is not withstanding the use of
| higher speed links, the available and not DetNet standardized, mostly TSN
| derived dependent technology aspects are considered by this document
| to not be  sufficient to support higher speed links at low hardware cost.
| These aspects include the following.
|
| [existing]: With the increasing of the data rate, the network scheduling cycle

> - Similarly, I don't understand how asymmetric links are new to the
> large-scale problem, e.g., consider the RAW use case.

I have to admit i am not clear about the RAW use-case details right now.

Did you read speed asymmetry ? I think the text means propagation latency
asymmetry. That is a pain for all clock synchronization method.

Aka: we'll write propagation latency asymmetry. If there is more to your
point, pls. explain.