Re: [Detnet] New Version Notification for draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements-03.txt

Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com> Tue, 27 September 2022 08:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:35:07 +0800
From: Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com>
To: lberger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: detnet <detnet@ietf.org>, draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements <draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] New Version Notification for draft-liu-detnet-large-scale-requirements-03.txt

Hi Lou,

Thanks for your comments. We think the large-scale deterministic network aims at the wide area network, which may also has more network devices, detnet flows and cross multi domains. Those characteristics bring more challenges to ensure the detnet service.

As you said, the current version is not clear about what large-scale is, and it is inaccurate to say like 'detnet is limited to a single network domain'. So we propose the modification at the last paragraphs in the Introduction Section:

A large-scale network usually has a longer transmission distance, more network devices and more kinds of traffic flows than a Local area network. It also has the characteristics including:
The link delay between network nodes is larger. The end to end path is a combination of short and long distance hops. The path between two neighbor nodes can be asymmetric in terms of the link delay. There are many types of network nodes which may introduce disparate local time variation and buffering capabilities. At the same time, there are various transmission rate supported at the different ports and on different network node, varying from tens of Mbps to tens of Gbps or higher. A large number of flows can travel across multiple Detnet domains.

Such domains are normally within a single administrative control network or multiple cooperating administrative networks within a closed group of administrative control [RFC8655]. However they may belong to different AS domains and be controlled by multiple peering or cascaded controllers, and at the same time they may not have the same time clock source. Maintaining per flow status becomes impractical in the large scale network. Aggregation and disaggregation of flows take place at the boundaries of Detnet domains as well as within a Detnet domain with various rules. The flow identification and packet treatment should take care of one or combined changes introduced by the large-scale network.

This document describes requirements for large-scale deterministic networks which demands the enhancement based on the existing bounded latency mechanisms and the corresponding data plane to ensure the detnet service for single administrative network or multiple (cooperating) administrative networks that defined in the detnet charter. The deterministic network for open internet is not within current scope.

Moreover, we will remove/refine the uncorrect description related to the multi domains in the whole text.

Hope that could address the issues about the 'large-scale' and 'multi domain'.

Thanks again~
Peng&co authors

liupengyjy@chinamobile.com