Re: [Detnet] WG adoption poll draft-geng-detnet-conf-yang

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Thu, 27 September 2018 09:00 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: Rodney Cummings <rodney.cummings@ni.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Janos Farkas <Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com>, "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>
CC: "detnet-chairs@ietf.org" <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 09:00:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.194.201]
Subject: Re: [Detnet] WG adoption poll draft-geng-detnet-conf-yang

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for the detailed clarification!

Please see my response inline...

I can't agree more.

> Specifically, in draft-geng-detnet-conf-yang, my concern is Section 4 and
> associated YANG.
> I assume that "flow configuration" is intended to be southbound. If it is
> southbound, these nodes directly overlap with YANG in progress for 802.1CB
> (in P802.1CBcv).

The flow configuration in draft-geng-detnet-conf-yang only covers the DetNet flow (layer 3) related parameters. And I assume that P802.1CBcv intends to configure TSN flow(layer 2) related parameters. Why do think they directly overlap? Are you proposing a single model for both DetNet and TSN flow configuration?

> I suppose my higher level question is:
> 	For YANG, which SDO is addressing which topic?

My personal opinion is that IEEE TSN addresses TSN specific configuration, and IETF DetNet WG addresses DetNet specific configuration. For the common part (both apply to TSN and DetNet), more discussions and collaboration between the two SDOs are needed.

1 ) For flow configuration, since the encapsulations are different, DetNet and TSN should have their own configuration models.

2 ) For topology discovery: the current DetNet topology model is an augmentation to ietf-te-topology model, it is defined as southbound, may be used as northbound.  Since the bandwidth, PREOF capabilities, queuing delays, queuing algorithms, processing delays etc. parameters are needed for and transparent to both TSN and DetNet. Seems a common model can work for both TSN and DetNet.

So, for topology model, do we plan to define a common model for both TSN and DetNet? Or define dedicated topology models for TSN and DetNet respectively?

3) There will be another model: transport QoS model (is not included in the current draft), which may have some common design and parameters for both TSN and DetNet.

> For example, is IETF DetNet planning to address northbound interfaces?
>
> If the answer is Yes, then I have no problem keeping the topology content in
> this draft.
> Maybe we will transition that topology content to a northbound-oriented
> draft, but that can be decided later.
>
> If the answer is Yes, what are we doing with the northbound work that has
> been published thus far in 802.1Qcc?
>
> Maybe we will transition that northbound work from 802.1 TSN to IETF
> DetNet over time, in order to avoid future overlap. Maybe we will keep that
> topic in 802.1 TSN. Whichever we decide, it would be helpful to make it clear,
> so that we can avoid drafts that overlap unintentionally.

If DetNet plans to define northbound model, I agree with the principle.

Best regards,
Mach