Re: [dhcwg] Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-03

Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> Thu, 12 August 2004 01:41 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-03
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:34:13 -0700
To: "David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins@isc.org>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, rbhibbs@pacbell.net
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

On Aug 11, 2004, at 3:43 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:
> I think we should just define the sane and rational behaviour we
> expect of the server when it encounters the mixed identities, since
> we already appear to have a consensus on what that should be.

David, in the case you are describing, the DHCP client has no stable
storage.   So there's no benefit to implementing the new client
identifier type on that client.   The server's behavior towards clients
that are out of compliance with the draft but do follow RFC2131/2132 is
clearly stated in the draft.

A host operating system that has been booted by a PXE boot loader that
does not comply with this draft, along with the PXE boot loader itself,
together represent a system which can never be in compliance with this
draft.   The host operating system should use the same identifier that
the PXE client uses, whatever that is, and not make up its own.

If the host operating does in fact make up its own identifier, then we
are talking about two different DHCP clients, one of which follows the
spec, and one of which does not.   The two clients will get two
different IP addresses.   There is no harm in this, unless you are
concerned about excessive IP address consumption.   If you are
concerned about that, there are stopgap solutions to get you over the
hump until the last of those PXE cards dies a well-deserved death.

While I sympathize with the issue you are raising, before you go any
further I would suggest that you read the problem statement, and then
sit down and see if you can write text that resolves the issue you are
raising in any better way than the current draft does, while at the
same time not failing to meet the goals of the current draft.   When
you haven't tried yourself to write the text that addresses a problem
you're describing in the context of the draft to which you wish to add
the text, it's easy to imagine that there is some solution that could
be grafted onto any particular document.   It is by such mistakes that
documents get delayed, sometimes forever, in their journey through the
standards process.