RE: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec

skodati@in.ibm.com Mon, 15 October 2001 12:33 UTC

From: skodati@in.ibm.com
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, bsuparna@in.ibm.com, rsharada@in.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:00:38 +0530
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Are there any conditions that the server has to check before sending an
unicast option, other than scope of the client's address. ( The draft talks
about "sufficient scope" only  20.11 in draft 20d).
If not,
     (a) Is there difference between the client verifying its scope to
reach the  server's address and server verifying the scope of the client
address to send the unicast option?.   if this is the case may i know what
are they. Does the example given by you (cable modem) considers this case?.

if yes:
     what are the other checks that the server has to perform.

If answer to (a) is "no difference", why does a client need to receive
"unicast option" from the server? instead of checking it at client's side.
-suresh

>The reason for having the SERVER send the unicast option and tell the
client that it is OK is to avoid some of the >problems that exist today
with client renewals that don't go through relay options (such as in cable
modem >systems). Since the client/server communicate directly (in DHCPv4),
the relay can't add the relay-agent options to >the client's messages. If
this isn't in the -20 draft, perhaps we should add something about it (just
so people in >the future won't need to ask why).

>I think that a client MUST NOT unicast a message unless it has received
the unicast option from that server. (As >Ralph indicated, I'm not sure it
is required that a server MUST check that a message was multicast unless it
told >the client it was OK to use the unicast option; however, a server is
free to drop those datagrams if it wishes. >Hence, for a client to get
service from all servers, it will need to honor the required behavior).

>- Bernie Volz

-Suresh