Re: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec

skodati@in.ibm.com Sat, 13 October 2001 14:12 UTC

From: skodati@in.ibm.com
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, bsuparna@in.ibm.com, rsharada@in.ibm.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:36:10 +0530
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> on 10/12/2001 03:36:08 PM

Please respond to Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>

To:   Suresh Kodati/India/IBM@IBMIN
cc:   dhcwg@ietf.org, Suparna Bhattacharya/India/IBM@IBMIN, R
      Sharada/India/IBM@IBMIN

>1./2. the unicast option is an administrative policy;

>3. I don't see any text in 16.1.1 that requires the
>client to check that the server is on the same link

I took the case of client and server on the same link as an example for the
first condition 16.1.1/16.1.3/16.1.6/16.1.8/ "If the client has a source
address that can be used by the server as a return address").

>isn't dependent on whether the client and server
>are on the same link.  A client could use unicast to
>deliver DHCP messages to an off-link router.

>The draft doesn't specify how a server should react
>to a unicast message received from a client to which the
>server has not sent a unicast option.  I imagine the
>right thing to do is to allow the server to process
>such messages.

If the client can unicast the message without referring to receipt of
unicast option from the server, (and since the server doesn't mandate the
client to use unicast the messages to the server by sending unicast
option), How this option would be useful.

Is there any scenario that a client cannot unicast the
REQUEST/RENEW/RELEASE/DECLINE even after receipt of unicast option from the
server.

Isn't it is enough to leave it to the client to choose the
unicast/multicast based on the first condition ("If the client has a source
address that can be used by the server as a return address").

-Suresh