RE: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Mon, 15 October 2001 18:08 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, Thirumalesh Bhat <thirub@windows.microsoft.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:06:41 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Ralph:

Some other changes you might think about making (I'm still in the process of reviewing the draft):

1. Section 10 (DUIDs). I think it is important to state that the server should treat the entire DUID as an opaque value and use it only in comparing DUIDs with each other - the server should not take apart the DUID or restrict the DUID types to the values specified as future documents may define new types.

2. The example in 10.3 is broken. There are only 7 octets before "example.com", not the required 8.

3. In section 20.2, I thought we were going to drop the "DUID len" field from the option as it wasn't required (DUID len is option-len - 2 (for the DUID type)).

4. In section 7.5, some of the timings are a bit short. I haven't investigated this in detail yet, but when one considers the speed of dial-up links and round trip times, I'm just a bit concerned that 250 msecs is a bit short.

5. In 9.2, you might want to indicate that the link-prefix and client-return-address fields are copied from the Relay-forward.

6. Section 15.1.1 (Use of XID Field) should probably be moved to apply globally not just to "Client Behavior" unter "DHCP Server Solicitation"?

7. In Section 15.1.3, the destination port number is not specified.

- Bernie