RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: movement detection and Confirm message

"Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com> Mon, 13 May 2002 02:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: movement detection and Confirm message
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:10:55 -0400
From: "Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Bernie,

Please use ascii text.  thanks.

I did not say that the server could not figure it out like a router does.  But a server should not have to be a router.  This is new to IPv6 dhcp.  What I am saying is that there is no inherent assumption clients can make about addresses from the server as I can for addresses received from stateless router via the prefix advertisements.  Not that I should be doing that either but I did.

Hence, forcing that as a requirement or benefit to support Confirm is not a valid protocol argument here in a standards forum.

An implementation note that it could be done is fine.  I just did not want folks to think we had an interoperable wide mechanism to determine this fact.

thanks
/jim