RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: movement detection and Confirm message

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Thu, 09 May 2002 00:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 19:26:34 -0400
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: movement detection and Confirm message
Cc: rdroms@cisco.com
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

We have three different messages that are used in three different situations:

Confirm - client has detected it may have moved, sends
           Confirm to any available server to determine
           if configuration is still valid
Renew   - client unicasts to assigning server to extend
           lease on IA
Rebind  - client sends to any available server to extend
           lease on IA

Thomas - rereading your original question, I'm not sure if you're
suggesting that a client not try to detect if it has moved to a new link,
or if it use a Renew instead of a Rebind when it detects it may have moved
to a new link.

I think from:

>if a client detects that it has
>moved, then just have it redo the normal DHC exchanges.

you mean keep movement detection but use different DHCP messages.  Exactly
what did you have in mind for "normal DHCP exchange"?  The idea behind
Confirm is (as is the case in DHCPv4) if the client has not moved (e.g.,
the client has been power cycled), the client uses a two message exchange
with any available server rather than a four message exchange.

Perhaps Confirm overlaps with Rapid Commit?

- Ralph