Re: [dhcwg] draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-03

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 28 July 2008 16:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:28:27 -0700
From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Richard Pruss <ric@cisco.com>, Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-03
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

I haven't touched 'draft-templin-dhcpmtu' since the
last time this subject came up, but AFAICT it will
still work fine even if relay agent information
options are inserted.

Per RFC3046:

   "A DHCP relay agent adding a Relay Agent Information field SHALL add
   it as the last option (but before 'End Option' 255, if present) in
   the DHCP options field of any recognized BOOTP or DHCP packet
   forwarded from a client to a server."

So, as long as 'draft-templin-dhcpmtu' is updated to
say that the reassembly process ignores any relay agent
information options the DHCP fragmentation/reassembly
will still work fine.

Ric is right that the normal-case link MTU is 1500 bytes,
but there is a remote possibility of smaller link MTUs
and/or larger DHCP messages; draft-templin-dhcpmtu'
addresses both possibilities. The approach would be
for the DHCP AUTH client to try w/o fragmentation first,
then try again using fragmentation if the unfragmented
attempt fails.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com