Re: [dhcwg] draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-03

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Tue, 29 July 2008 14:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:55:28 -0700
From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-03
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

You are kidding, right? True, we don't have an IP source
address (the whole reason for considering this approach)
but we do have 2 32bit randomly-chosen fields. That gives
64bits of uniqueness, and the probability for collision
for two nodes selecting randomly-chosen 64bit IDs is
"vanishingly small" as analyzed in RFC4429, Appendix A.
The probability of collision is certainly negligible
when compared to that for IP fragmentation which uses
a fixed 32bit IP source address plus 16bit ip_id.

In fact, draft-templin-dhcpmtu as it stands is overkill
along several different vectors. First, the sprite-mtu
checksum is completely unnecessary when we have such
high assurance against misassociating fragments during
reassembly. Secondly, the 32bit Identification field
is overkill when we consider that we already have a
randomly-chosen 32bit xid and that ordinary use cases
would not have millions of nodes on the same link
trying to bootstrap themselves at the same time.
Also, the UDP checksum will catch most reassembly
errors if fragment misassociation somehow occurs.
Finally, how bad could it be if a reassembly error
actually slipped past the UDP checksums? The server
would get confused and discontinue processing of
the message, and the client would time out and
try again.

These factors (plus some easily-fixed errors such as
failure to observe the 255 byte length restriction
for DHCP options) seem like reason enough to revive
the draft.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com