RE: [dhcwg] additional option for dhcpv6

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Sun, 20 January 2002 18:02 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Vijay Bhaskar A K' <vijayak@india.hp.com>, mjs@cisco.com
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] additional option for dhcpv6
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:57:08 -0600
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Vijay:

I don't understand your desire to do DDNS updates for temporary addresses. We specifically do NOT want to do them. The -22 draft just says that if a server does DDNS updates, it must follow the rules of RFC 3041.

I think you have things backwards a bit. Non-temporary addresses are the addresses that need domain names (FQDNs) assoicated with them. Temporary addresses really shouldn't since that defeats the purpose of temporary addresses. However, what RFC 3041 says, is that if DDNS updates are done, the name should be something that doesn't identify the client. It gives one reason for doing this and that is to keep applications happy that "authenticate" clients by doing a reverse and then forward lookup to assure the client is in DNS.

We need a general FQDN option. Where it is placed (encapulated within the option area of an IA Address option, inside the option area of an IA option, or outside IA options) determines its scope (to one address, several addresses, or all addresses). For temporary addresses, the scope should be to that one address (since even using the same name with two temporary addresses could leak information about the client).

So, I see no value in an option that is just for temporary addresses. We should define a FQDN option and use it whenever DDNS updates are done. The format should be defined as in draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-03.txt with the following differences:
- a 16-bit option number/option length
- "A" RRs replaced by "AAAA" RRs.
- Name encoding should be as per section 10 of the -22 draft on DNS encodings (hence we technically don't need the "E" bit in the flag field but I would recommend we simply specify it MUST always be set to allow common code to be used on the client and/or server).

- Bernie