RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 09 May 2002 14:00 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:52:35 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

>> >    A server MUST return the same set of temporary address for the same
>> >    IA_TA (as identified by the IAID) as long as those addresses are
>> >    still valid.  After the lifetimes of the addresses in an IA_TA have
>> >    expired, the IAID may be reused to identify a new IA_TA with new
>> >    temporary addresses.
>
>> was in reference to a Request. We wanted to be clear on what happens
>> should a server receive a Request with the same IAID in a IA_TA
>> option that it already sent a Reply to.
>
>OK. This makes sense. This would be the same for temp and non-temp
>addresses. Right? Is the same text present in the non-temp case (I
>don't recall right off)?

Yes, it really should be the same and I think it is implied in other statements relating to addresses in an IA (that can not be removed until the valid lifetime has expired).

We do say (for the IA option): "When the lifetimes of all of the addresses in an IA have expired, the IA can be considered as having expired."

The one issue with Temporary Addresses is that a server implementor could assume "hey, they're temporary and assigned once and ..." so why save the binding information (they have to flag the address as in use until the valid lifetime expires, but that doesn't mean they'd have to remember which client was using it and for which binding). So, it was important to indicate that the server must remember this because of retransmissions (and now renewals since that wasn't in -24).

>No, I think "valid" is right.

Agreed.

- Bernie