RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses

"Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com> Wed, 15 May 2002 19:34 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Temporary addresses
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:33:00 -0400
From: "Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>
To: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

this sounds good to me.
/jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Volz (EUD) [mailto:Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 1:25 PM
To: 'Ralph Droms'; dhcwg@ietf.org

Ralph:

I think all we wanted to do was to remove the prohibition against renewing IA_TA's. I don't think we want to drop the IA_TA concept or need to add T1/T2 times to the IA_TA option since the intent is NOT to renew these. If the client needs to continue using existing temporary addresses, it must initiate a Renew in time to renew them. The server can always have policy that would disallow this (for example if a renumbering event is happening).

And, adding some comments that in a managed (stateful) addressing environment the RFC 3041 procedures basically trigger stateful requests for temporary addresses in place of the stateless autoconfiguration would be useful.

- Bernie