RE: [dhcwg] Leasequery: should it be standardized?

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Sat, 08 March 2003 00:19 UTC

From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
cc: 'Kim Kinnear' <kkinnear@cisco.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Leasequery: should it be standardized?
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:18:35 -0700
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Folks,

I don't know the outcome of this thread, after the flurry of comments in
support of the DHCP Lease Query functionality -- which included some useful
comments to improve the next draft version.

Today, as a fairly large cable service provider, I use DHCP Lease Query
between distinct vendors of DHCP servers and DOCSIS CMTS relay agents, where
it provides great value -- preventing IP address theft among subscribers. In
places where I cannot yet deploy this technology, some legitimate
subscribers have to use some ugly workarounds (e.g. continuously pinging the
first-hop router) in order to defend their legitimately-assigned DHCP
address lease. The Lease Query functionality exists in multiple vendor DHCP
server implementations and multiple vendor (CMTS) relay agent
implementations. Today, these vendors tend to use the documentation of the
Lease Query protocol from the Cisco website.

While I believe that Lease Query should be standardized within the DHC WG, I
am not sure I would refer to this functionality as "access control".
Performing source IP address verification is one small piece of router
access control. To see the full ugliness of access control from the DiffServ
perspective, see RFC 3289 -- this extent of functionality is way beyond the
charter of DHC.

I don't think we should extend Lease Query to be a generic DHCP server
lookup protocol. For example, if a non-relay agent needs to know the lease
database information from a DHCP server, it should query the DHCP Server MIB
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-08.txt> --
which incidentally I believe now is ready for WG last-call.

So perhaps some re-wording of the problem statement, and perhaps some
pruning of functionality that has crept into the draft, is in order.

I am sorry I did not respond to this thread sooner, but I have been
overwhelmed with other IETF discussion threads. DiffServ and DHCP Server MIB
come immediately to mind. ;^)

-- Rich

P.S. I remember the original intent of Lease Query -- since I first pitched
the Lease Query idea (aka "Third-Party DHCP") back in April 1998,
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98mar/98mar-edited-51.htm#P6021_315505>. In
fact, I still have the original slide deck on my laptop. ;^)