[dhcwg] How to encode DNS labels in DHCP options

Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com> Tue, 04 September 2001 20:30 UTC

To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 16:21:13 -0400
From: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject: [dhcwg] How to encode DNS labels in DHCP options
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

The document draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-02.txt is apparently in
WGLC. I note that this document uses the following encoding to encode
the DNS name:

   The data in the Domain Name field may appear in one of two formats:
   ASCII, or DNS-style binary encoding (without compression, of
   course), as described in RFC1035[3]. A client which sends the FQDN
   option MUST set the "E" bit to indicate that the data in the Domain
   Name field is DNS binary encoded. If a server receives an FQDN
   option from a client, and intends to include an FQDN option in its
   reply, it MUST use the same encoding that the client used. The DNS
   encoding is recommended. The use of ASCII-encoded domain-names is
   fragile, and the use of ASCII encoding in this option should be
   considered deprecated.

What does it mean for ascii to be deprecated, when the previous text
says it MUST be supported. Is this trying to document some behavior
(from an earlier ID) that has been implemented and deployed? (If so,
it might be good to actually come out and say that).

Or, given that this is an ID, not an update to an existing RFC, seems
like if you don't want to allow ascii, the document should simply not
support it at all. What is the document really telling implementors
regarding what they should implement?

As a comparison point, draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-06.txt doesn't allow
ascii, it just uses the on-the-wire binary encoding.

Finally, I'll note that I recently took the message back to the author
of draft-ietf-sip-dhcp-04.txt that said they shouldn't be using ascii
(see appended note). Was that in error?

I'd like to see some clarification on this seeming inconsistancy. What
is the WG's position with regards to the how DHCP options should be
encoding DNS labels?

Thomas