RE: [Diffserv] DHCP user class

"Gary Kenward" <gkenward@nortelnetworks.com> Mon, 17 July 2000 21:27 UTC

From: Gary Kenward <gkenward@nortelnetworks.com>
To: "'Manfredi, Albert E'" <Albert.Manfredi@PHL.Boeing.com>, 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian@hursley.ibm.com>, Diff Serv <diffserv@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] DHCP user class
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:24:10 -0400
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

I believe the intent is to provide an additional dimension for service
differentiation
in addition to application stream related differentiation. For example, an
application
in use by user A would receive a different, perhaps improved, service over
the service
provided by the same application in use by user B. The actual
differentiation supported
would be up to the service provider.

The only issue that I can see with using the IP address is that all
applications
on the host using that IP address will be impacted. Thus, for example, if
the objective is
to give user A's video streams better service, then user A's email stream
will
likely be given relatively better service over other users email.

The only solution I can see o providing user differentiation on a per
application basis
is one based upon request/assignment (e.g. Diff Edge).

Gary Kenward

Gary W. Kenward
gkenward@nortelnetworks.com
Advisor, Wireless Architecture               (613) 765-1437
Advanced Technology Labs                      ESN 395-1437
Wireless Solutions                                  FAX: (613) 763-2686

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
-- Albert Einstein

The contents of this email are Nortel Networks Confidential