Re: [Dime] Call for WG adoption: draft-jones-diameter-group-signaling-01

Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com> Fri, 13 April 2012 22:56 UTC

From: Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com>
To: jouni korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 22:54:59 +0000
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>, "dime-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <dime-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Call for WG adoption: draft-jones-diameter-group-signaling-01

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 12, 2012, at 2:04 AM, "jouni korhonen" <jouni.nospam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tina,
Thank u Jouni.

> On Apr 5, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Tina TSOU wrote:
>
>> Hi Jouni and Mark,
>> The problem statement is valid and the solution can work in basic scenarios.
>>
>> However the solution may have some limit in roaming scenario.
>>
>> Consider a network having a WLAN AN (hosting a Diameter Client) requesting some 3G internet resources, visited network proxies and home network server as below:
>>
>> Client -------------- <Visited n/w proxy 1> ---------- {Home network server}
>>       -------------- <Visited n/w proxy 2> ----------{Home network server}
>>
>> The session path can be established through either of the visited n/w proxies. For all the messages of same session, client can ensure that the session path through stateful nodes is maintained. The visited n/w proxies would require that the session path be maintained for offline charging etc.
>> In this scenario, if client uses group signalling method to terminate all sessions in a group using GSTR, only the proxy in the GSTR-GSTA path will be aware of session termination. Since there are no follow-up messages, there is no mechanism to let the other proxy know that the sessions are terminated.
>
> How this differentiates from a generic issue where someone
> puts a proxy on path that is supposed to stay on path and
> at the same time allows by deployment options an alternative
> path to take place? Like asking for trouble..
The problem I am trying to put forth is one where the sessions between a client and server can take more than one path, but the group session termination signalling (GSTR) can take only one of such path. This is different from other group signalling exchanges suggested where there is a followup (GRAR, GASR etc.) which can be done at PER_SESSION level.