Re: [Dime] Start of the WGLC on draft-ietf-dime-drmp-02

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Wed, 27 January 2016 17:56 UTC

To: lionel.morand@orange.com, "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:56:53 -0600
Subject: Re: [Dime] Start of the WGLC on draft-ietf-dime-drmp-02

On 1/27/16 11:34 AM, lionel.morand@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> 1 comment and 1 question below.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lionel

SRD2> Yes, but the decision to be made it about the value.  Do you have
a suggestion for alternate wording?

>> Section 8:
>>
>> Section 6 talks about nodes saving priority information found in the
>> request's DRMP AVP with the transaction state, and then checking it if
>> the AVP is absent in the Diameter answer. This info should be captured
>> in this section also.
> SRD> The normative behavior is captured in this paragraph:
>
>      When determining the priority to apply to answer messages, Diameter
>      nodes MUST use the priority indicated in the DRMP AVP carried in the
>      answer message, if it exists.  Otherwise, the Diameter node MUST use
>      the priority indicated in the DRMP AVP of the associated request
>      message.
>
> Section 6 talks about one way to implement this.  I'm hesitant to include it as normative behavior.  As such, I added the following note:
>
>         Note: One method to determine what priority to apply to an answer
>         when there is no DRMP AVP in the answer message is to save the
>         priority included in the request message in state associated with
>         the Diameter transaction.
>
> [LM] It is curious to see an expected behaviour described in section 6 and no related normative behaviour. Could you explain why you are reluctant to say that the priority value indicated in the request is saved?
SRD> Section 6 is non normative and, as such, only an example.
Specifying this in the normative section would eliminate other methods
of determining the value received in the request.  For instance, a
stateless agent might choose to include the value in a Proxy-Info AVP.