Re: [Dime] Proposed REQ 35 Text

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Thu, 28 March 2013 09:28 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:28:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.3]
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Proposed REQ 35 Text

Hi Glen,

Please see below.

Regards,

Lionel

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Glen Zorn [mailto:glenzorn@gmail.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 28 mars 2013 04:09
À : MORAND Lionel OLNC/OLN
Cc : Ben Campbell; dime@ietf.org; glenzorn@gmail.com
Objet : Re: [Dime] Proposed REQ 35 Text

On 03/27/2013 09:55 PM, lionel.morand@orange.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following the discussion in the meeting, here is my interpretation.
>
> I said during the meeting that a new application will only be able to
> go through existing relay and redirect agent and not through "legacy"
> proxies i.e. proxies not supporting/advertising the new application.

OK, but this is not different from any other new application, right?
So, if the only route to a given destination realm is through a proxy,
either the proxy must be updated to support the app or the application
will fail.  That behavior seems fine to me: proxy application support
(or non-support) is an administrative decision.

[LM] I'm fine with that also. And it means that a solution based on a new app-id would fail to meet the REQ35 containing a "MUST". And I'm not sure if it is really what we want at this stage.

If a transited realm
doesn't want to carry the traffic generated by an application (perhaps,
in this case, because the administrators are unconvinced that the
solution to signaling overload is more signaling), I think that it is
inappropriate to attempt to force it to do so.

[LM] Right!

> So the question is simple: in the requirement elaboration phase, are
> we sure that any solution based on a new App-id will be rejected?

Do you mean rejected by the WG?

[LM] Yes!