Re: [Dime] Martin Stiemerling's Discuss on draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-01: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Fri, 12 June 2015 15:33 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "Bertz, Lyle T [CTO]" <Lyle.T.Bertz@sprint.com>, Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:32:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.238.44.140]
Cc: "dime-chairs@ietf.org" <dime-chairs@ietf.org>, "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>, "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Martin Stiemerling's Discuss on draft-ietf-dime-congestion-flow-attributes-01: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Lyle,

Thanks for the explanation - for my concern, I think we're close to done...

> Traffic flow(s) are IP (5-tuple) flow(s).

That's a relief - I'm glad that we're only dealing with editorial concerns
in the draft, and not an actual design problem.

> My question to you is would it be best to say "IP flows" or "IP (5-tuple)
> flows" or "5-tuple flows"?

I like "IP (5-tuple) flows" - Martin?

> I am unsure of the best wording here.  This
> treatment applies to all packets associated to all 5-tuples (flows) captured
> by the Filter-Rule.

Please add that latter sentence ("This treatment applies ...") to the draft ...

> A Filter-Rule may contain a Classifier that describes one or many 5-tuples per
> RFC 5777.

... and please add that sentence also ;-).

The goal is to be clear that:
- adding an ECN-IP-Codepoint AVP to a Classifier still results in the
	Classifier describing 5-tuple flows (as opposed to subsets of 5-tuple
	flows that contain a specific value or values in the ECN field); and
- hence, the Congestion-Treatment AVP applies to 5-tuples and not to
	anything smaller.

Thanks,
--David