Re: Reigistry for tv:URI's

"Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org> Mon, 02 October 2006 20:03 UTC

DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=KlLRryyyXOK7SwTvTgHAp6mPefZyEZVvbuj1EWV4cMhlOhBcRsVhX6VXrXwuSwLdyS1GfjEjsFwP2rOXgqIITCn8DQK+2oG6SDCyVJWVMTJuzWqPAGuG2ikJs/PKZ28I7POoimpUKM1yEC7XtohNqz3CfW/7dxPYhvGurFPusH8=
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:03:25 -0400
From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
To: "Deventer, M.O. (Oskar) van" <oskar.vandeventer@tno.nl>
Subject: Re: Reigistry for tv:URI's
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org, "Zigmond, Dan" <djz@google.com>, "Keesmaat, N.W. (Iko)" <iko.keesmaat@tno.nl>

Some questions ...

On 10/2/06, Deventer, M.O. (Oskar) van <oskar.vandeventer@tno.nl> wrote:
> Ad 5) The relationship with the DNS registry will be as described in
> RFC2838. That is, DNS-style domain name syntax is used to identify a
> broadcast. Further then this syntactic relation we do not foresee any
> relation with the DNS.

So would there be any relationship between, say, "tv:nbc.com" and
General Electric (the current owner, per the DNS)?  If yes, do you
intend to reuse the association already maintained by the DNS/ICANN,
or do you intend to create a new registry to make this association?
If not, don't you think General Electric might express concern about
not owning the set of tv URIs using the nbc.com name?

You also mentioned that anybody would be able to register a tv URI.
Again, don't you think GE (or Disney or ...) would balk at that?

> Note that this implies - as already stated in
> RFC2838 - that it is not the intention that tv:URI's are resolved
> through the DNS.

It sounds like you're leaving the door open to resolvable URIs which
is good, but what would you recommend for those that want them?

And a meta question; would this discussion not be more appropriate for
the URI list (uri@w3.org)?

Cheers,

Mark.