Re: [dispatch] Charter proposal for Q4S WG ( formerly Q-HTTP) Version 1

"GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 14 January 2011 08:08 UTC

From: "GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:10:31 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "CUBILLO PASTOR, CLARA (CLARA)" <clara.cubillo_pastor@alcatel-lucent.com>, "'dispatch@ietf.org'" <dispatch@ietf.org>, "DIAZ VIZCAINO, LUIS MIGUEL (LUIS MIGUEL)" <luismi.diaz@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Charter proposal for Q4S WG ( formerly Q-HTTP) Version 1

Hi Cullen

Yes, the draft is draft-aranda-dispatch-qhttp-00.txt  . We are working in a "better explained" draft than this one, but for the moment this is the best we have done, and this is the draft we submitted to the dispatch list on 8 Nov 2010.

This protocol allow applications to measure bandwith, latency , jitter and packetloss in two steps:

 - just at the beginning, checking if the network support the requirements for a given application
 - during the application timelife, checking if the network support the requirements and raising alerts if the network violates some constraints

The protocol does not transport video, data, etc. The protocol only measures and send alerts. It is designed to be used in parallel with other protocols which transport application data. For example, a videogame executed remotelly can send video to the user using rtp ( RTP does not need to change) and the user can send action control using http, or something over UDP, etc. In parallel , Q4S will do the surveillance and will alert if network conditions degrade.

A possible implementation may use the alerts for two different approach:

 - for adaptative mechanisms: ( for example we are developing a videoserver which reduces the compresion time if latency grows). In other cases , for example FTP, may be reduced the number of FTP threads if packetloss alerts or latency alerts are raised, etc.
 - for QoS profile changing mechanisms: trigger request to the ISP, asking for more QoS ( more bw, less latency, more priority...)

The actions are not defined in the draft, are implementation dependant. For example, as you mention, it could interfact with diffserv, if the ISP check the alerts and change on the fly DSCP markings in the access router, also could act over the access node ( DSLAM or CMTS) changing QoS parameters in response to the alerts

Q4S protocol can be used in parallel with any other protoocl ( RTP, FTP, HTTP, etc) without changes for these protocols, because Q4S runs in parallel and provides a functionality useful for all of them, but at the same time, independent of all of them.

Use cases: virtualized videogames ( video generated remotelly) but also any interactive-video application. In general applications which have bandwidth constraints  but also latency  constraints in order to provide a good user experience

Regards & thanks!

- Jose Javier