Re: [dispatch] Charter proposal for Q4S WG ( formerly Q-HTTP) Version 1

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 20 December 2010 13:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:36:24 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: "GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER)" <jose_javier.garcia_aranda@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "pedrochas@dit.upm.es" <pedrochas@dit.upm.es>, "CUBILLO PASTOR, CLARA (CLARA)" <clara.cubillo_pastor@alcatel-lucent.com>, "ORTIGA HERRERA, GUADALUPE (GUADALUPE)" <guadalupe.ortiga_herrera@alcatel-lucent.com>, "jquemada@dit.upm.es" <jquemada@dit.upm.es>, "'dispatch@ietf.org'" <dispatch@ietf.org>, "gabriel@dit.upm.es" <gabriel@dit.upm.es>, "barcenilla@dit.upm.es" <barcenilla@dit.upm.es>, "jsr@dit.upm.es" <jsr@dit.upm.es>, "HERRANZ PABLO, SONIA (SONIA)" <sonia.herranz@alcatel-lucent.com>, "DIAZ VIZCAINO, LUIS MIGUEL (LUIS MIGUEL)" <luismi.diaz@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Charter proposal for Q4S WG ( formerly Q-HTTP) Version 1

On 12/13/10 16:39, GARCIA ARANDA, JOSE JAVIER (JOSE JAVIER) wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Here is the charter proposal for Q4S ( Quality for service) WG. This
> WG will include the achieved works with  "Q-HTTP"
Forgive me if this has been asked before....

does this approach (out-of-band measurements on a different set of
ports/protocols than in fact used by the application) assume that the
network is not doing deep packet inspection or differential treatment of
services?

Is there an interaction with DSCP packet marking - could the measurement
setup specify DSCP codepoints to be set on packets (and, knowing that
these are changed en route, report on the DSCP codepoints of incoming
packets)?

In both points, it would be nice if the charter said whether it was in
or out of scope.

                       Harald