Re: [dispatch] SIP Action Referral

"Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com> Tue, 18 January 2011 20:39 UTC

From: "Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:41:49 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [dispatch] SIP Action Referral

Hi Christer,

Thanks for your detailed review and comments.
See my comments inline...

Regards,
 Rifaat

Yes. Thanks for mentioning this; I should have mentioned this in the email or/and in the draft.
I will fix that in the next version of the draft.

> GQ2: In the use-cases/examples, it seems like every "action" triggers a SIP
> message (request or response). Is the intention that an "action" is always
> associated with a SIP message? Before we decide upon a solution, I think we
> should have a definition/requirement for "action".

Can you propose some text for that?

> GQ3: Section 5.2 says that a UA SHOULD indicate support of the extension.
> Again, referring to the evil of SHOULDs when it comes to conformance testing,
> please indicate when the SHOULD does not apply (or use MUST instead).

Good point. I will change it to MUST.

> GQ4: Section 5.2 also seems to refer to a feature tag. Why do we need both an
> option-tag and feature-tag to indicate support of this?

For actions that are not in the context of an existing dialog.
While we did not provide an example for such a use case, we did not want to limit these actions to existing dialogs only.

> REFER specific:
> ===============
>
> The following issues/questions need to be addressed if we want to go ahead
> with a REFER based solution.
>
> RQ1: Section 2 says that REFER can not be used to place a call on hold, and in
> the examples you use an "action" to terminate a call. But, as far as I know a
> REFER can be used to trigger any kind of SIP request (including re-INVITE,
> CANCEL etc). This was discussed (and confirmed, AFAIK) when we discussed
> draft-audet-sipping-feature-ref.

Take a look at the call flow on page 20. How would a standard REFER request be able to ask the REFER-Recipient to send a 480 reponse?
For the hold use case, let's take a look at the example in section 3.3.2.Let's say that Alice wants to put the call on hold using her Desk Phone.
How would you do that with a REFER with a re-INVITE?

> RQ2: Eventhough the Refer-To ABNF allows for URNs, the text in section 2.1 of
> RFC 3515 says that it is used to carry a URL. However, the rest of the
> document talks about Refer-To containing a URI, which would allow also a URN,
> so I guess we just need to verify that a URN is ok.

Good point.

> RQ3: RFC 3515 says that Refer-To contains "a resource to be contacted", and
> that the REFER recipient (identified by the Request-URI) should
>    contact a third party using the contact information provided in the
> request.
>
> In your draft, Refer-To does not contain such information.

Yes, this is an extension to 3515.

> I guess one alternative could be to use a separate header field to indicate
> the action.
>

> RQ4: If the action in the REFER is used to trigger a SIP response (or, no SIP
> message at all (see GQ2)), what will the sipfrag message body in the NOTIFY
> contain? Note that RFC 3515 requires the NOTIFY to contain a sipfrag body.

RFC 3515, Section 2.4.5, The Body of the NOTIFY, states the following:
"Note that if the reference was to a non-SIP URI, status in any NOTIFYs to the referrer must still be in the form of SIP Response Status-Lines."

> Alternative mechanisms:
>
> AQ1 (Alternative): In case the "action" request can be sent using an
> established dialog, have you considered the usage of an Info Package?

I think that's been discussed in the past and deemed inappropriate.
Remember that some of the actions might be outside of an existing dialog.