Re: [dispatch] Charter Proposal: Verification Involving PSTNReachability (VIPR)

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> Thu, 08 July 2010 04:56 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 22:56:37 -0600
To: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>
Cc: 'DISPATCH list' <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Charter Proposal: Verification Involving PSTNReachability (VIPR)

On Jul 7, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Roni Even wrote:

> Cullen,
> I am not talking about the vipr drafts but about the charter, I thought we
> are discussion a charter and not a solution.
> "One initial validation protocol will be based on a domain being able to
> prove it received a particular phone call over the PSTN based on both sides
> knowing the start and stop times of that call"
> What do you mean by "received a particular phone call" - my understanding
> from reading the sentence is that it is based on the caller ID; the start
> and stop time may not be unique, so my reading is that the charter means
> caller-id and start and stop time.

By "particular call" I think the charter is trying to get at it is the same call. There nothing mentioned anywhere about caller id in the charter. Caller id + time would not be a very good identifer of a call since many enterprises set all the caller of all outbound calls to the same main number for the company. Any suggestions on how to make this clearer in the charter?