[dispatch] Improve UX in Encrypted Email (distinguish between forwarded and otherwise wrapped messages)

Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch> Fri, 02 October 2020 15:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 17:56:35 +0200
From: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
To: IETF DISPATCH list <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: [dispatch] Improve UX in Encrypted Email (distinguish between forwarded and otherwise wrapped messages)

Hi,

We are seeking advise from the Email community regarding the following:

In the LAMPS WG we are working on so called "Header Protection" for Emails
to achieve better privacy. This concerns in particular (but not only) the
Subject Header Field that is often left unencrypted in otherwise encrypted
email.

The mechnism used for Protection of Header Fields is to wrap a whole email
(including the Header Section) into another email and apply protection to
the former.

At the receiving side certain Email clients do not render such
signed/encrypted emails correctly to the user, leading to "weired
artefacts" and thus bad User Experience (UX). Such clients do not
distinguish between forwarded mail and signed/encrypted emails (wrapped in
a similar way as forwarded messages).

Alexey came up with a proposal to help such email clients to make this
distinction (with the intention to improve UX). Together with Alexey I
wrote up this proposal to an early draft version:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-iana-reg-forwarded-00

This I-D suggests a new Content-Type Header Field Parameter "forwarded":
If set to "yes", the contained message was forwarded; if set to "no", the
message was "wrapped" for signature/encryption with Header Protection.

However, I am concerned that the (binary) scope of the Content-Type Header
Field Parameter may be too narrow, as there a potentially more cases an
email message is transported in the Body part of another email message and
such a Parameter may be helpful, such as:

- Rejected (non deliveries / bounces)

- ML-hold (message to be assessed by a mailing list admin)

- ML-discard-action (mailing list admin reply to this will discard)

- ML-digest-item (mailing list digest item;
   digest is a collection of multiple emails)

- even more?

I am seeking advice (mainly from implemeters of MUAs) on:

1) Is it helpful/useful/needed to enhance such a Parameter for these
    additional cases?

2) Have there been problems in the past to distingish such cases
    from "forwarded" messages?

We'd appeciate your feedback (preferably within the next 10 days)!

cheers,
  Bernie

--

http://ucom.ch/
Modern Telephony Solutions and Tech Consulting for Internet Technology