Re: [dispatch] draft-jesske-sipping-etsi-ngn-reason-04

<R.Jesske@telekom.de> Tue, 07 July 2009 05:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:13:37 +0200
From: R.Jesske@telekom.de
To: dworley@nortel.com
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] draft-jesske-sipping-etsi-ngn-reason-04

Hi Dale,
Within the SIPPING group I had already discussions on that issue.
The assumption was that the use of the Reason Header within Responses is conditionally allowed.

The RFC 3326 says:
   Initially, the Reason header field defined here appears to be most
   useful for BYE and CANCEL requests, but it can appear in any request
   within a dialog, in any CANCEL request and in any response whose
   status code explicitly allows the presence of this header field.

So we need a draft where it is stated that a reason header can be included within the SIP Response. That was also the recommendation of that discussion. That is why I wrote a draft.
Nevertheless some standards already include this behaviour like the ITU-T Q.1912.5 specification.
Also 3GPP needs the reason header within Responses.

Now due to the fact that the draft is expired and with the reorganisation of SIP and SIPPING the questioned appeared where such draft would like to fit best.
 SIPCORE, DISPATCH or BLISS.

Best Regards,

Roland