Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

"Francois Audet" <audet@nortel.com> Tue, 07 July 2009 16:31 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:51:57 -0500
From: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
To: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

You asked for real-life data.

I've seen many ways to achieve this type of "remote call control" functionality:

1 - Proprietary Master/Slave protocols

	This is similar to H.248, but proprietary. Specifically, when in
      "remote control mode", the device (e.g.., a phone) sees the UA
	(e.g. a PC client) as it's "PBX". In this mode, the Phone is not
	a SIP UA anymore in control mode. When control is relinquished,
	Phone re-SIPifies itself.

2 - CTI-like protocols

	Things like ECMA TR-87 (CSTA tunnelled over SIP). The two devices remain
	SIP UAs at all time, and attempt to "coordinate" their state.

3 - Layer 1/2 integration

	The device on the LAN is seen as a peripheral (i.e., remote speaker/
	microphone/camera) to the device (e.g., PC) controlling it, when
	in control mode. Typically, this is USB or Bluetooth, or some emulation
	over Ethernet. Like number 1, the Phone is not a SIP UA anymore in
	control mode. When control is relinquished, Phone re-SIPifies itself.

4 - SIP extensions/B2BUA

	You can do a lot directly with SIP, if you have a B2BUA, but it is
	non-trivial.

Number 3, and we don't need to standardized anything at IETF for this.

I do not think that it is adequate for all applications, and a much more
loosely coupled mechanism is what we would need for those applications.
And by "loosely coupled", I really mean it: not media control. More like
session sharing, where each UA ultimately retains control over their own destiny.

Something akin to Feature Referal. It could be based on presence or other
mechanisms.