Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com> Tue, 07 July 2009 16:45 UTC

From: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:23:26 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

Paul,

This is getting interesting, so let's see...

>In such a case, using IMs between people, so that they may establish
>separate calls for various media is clearly the poor man's choice -
>better than nothing but not ideal. And its especially poor if the "initial" call is not an IM call.
>Then just establishing an IM channel
>between the same two people is non-trivial.

No matter what type of communicator we use: SIP, Skype, Jabber, iChat, etc., most courteous people will first IM to ask if the other party can speak right now or later. While talking, they may also chose to add video. And if planned, also add desktop sharing.

So the natural order of communications seems to be mostly:
Presence (or the web conference URI), IM, voice, video, desktop sharing, conferencing, but certainly it all starts with a URI for the rendezvous function.

It seems we differ (or do we?) on three points:

 1.  Communicator "calls" are not the poor mans choice,
 2.  It most often starts with presence and IM,
 3.  The URI (or Skype name) of the other party in the address book is all that's required. Or the social network as an address book.

Now leaving for a moment telephony aside, let's look at some new usage scenarios:

 *   People in social networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
 *   Telepresence (business)
 *   Digital living room (consumer)

It is a pretty safe guess that SIP PBX-style voice communications are not the right model for these emerging scenarios. I guess even contact centers for customer care may benefit from looking at the emerging Web applications for communications and especially for sharing of documents (having a URI).
Don't we often prefer to IM or email so as not to be tortured by IVR Hell?
And even for voice, just to be called back by an agent?

Now if we could only outlaw "automata"   :-)

Henry

On 7/7/09 8:03 AM, "Paul Kyzivat" <pkyzivat@cisco.com> wrote:

Henry Sinnreich wrote:
> Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>>Past suggestions by various people to send control signals (intended
> tobe acted upon
>>by automata rather than >people) via IM have generally been
>>rejected as inappropriate.
>
> I am not sure how many people expect a usage scenario for IM with an
> automata in the middle or
> what the deployment statistics are for such automata (I have never
> encountered one).
>
> All SIP (or other protocol ) Communicator packages have IM and the URI
> works there very nicely.
>
> Do you have any usage statistics that justifies the assertion automata
> are the
> key usage scenario and "plain person to person" IM does not count?
>
> Henry

I don't know of one either.

But my observation is about using the IM message as a solution to the
kinds of use cases that were presented in the draft, at least as I
imagine them playing out.

My mental model is of an environment where a significant fraction of
people have multimedia UAs, and an expectation that those various media
will be available in calls that they make. Now add to that people who
have support for various media, but not in a single device. They then
want to play in that same multimedia environment.

In such a case, using IMs between people, so that they may establish
separate calls for various media is clearly the poor man's choice -
better than nothing but not ideal. And its especially poor if the
"initial" call is not an IM call. Then just establishing an IM channel
between the same two people is non-trivial.

        Thanks,
        Paul