Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 07 July 2009 14:48 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:47:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Disaggregated Media in SIP

I understood the key distinction for MESSAGE method contents was not what generated it, but how it was treated on reception. The prime use of the MESSAGE method was where the contents were rendered to the user (even if they are generated by something that is an automata). If the contents were to be understood by some automata, then PUBLISH or SUBSCRIBE / NOTIFY may be more appropriate, or if there is an INVITE dialog around that pertains to the communication, then something else.

Hopever the multiple methods for similar purposes discussion in SIP never really resolved itself so I would say there is no definitive answer to this.

regards

Keith