Re: [Diversity] Review of draft-crocker-diversity-conduct-01

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> Thu, 19 March 2015 04:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 21:40:11 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>
Cc: Narelle Clark <narelle.clark@pavonis.com.au>, diversity@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Diversity] Review of draft-crocker-diversity-conduct-01

On 3/18/2015 7:12 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> I'll response to the specific point about the Independent Submissions
> Stream and follow up on the other parts in a few days.
>
> Here's how I look at the document in respect to publication in the
> stream.  The document is about the IETF.  The IETF has a stream.  The
> default place for it to be published would be in that stream.

SM,

You appear to be saying that all documents "about" the IETF have to be
submitted through the IETF stream.

I can't tell whether you see your use of 'should' as your personal
opinion or as an RFC stream requirement.  I am not aware of any
requirement that matches what you've said.  Quite the contrary.  I
believe the scope of the Independent stream covers a personal document
like this entirely reasonably.

So the issue is whether it is somehow better to have it go through the
IETF stream.  I see two factors to consider.  One is whether there is
sufficient community interest in the document?  The other is whether
there is significant benefit in going through an IETF rough consensus
approval process?  I don't see the answer being yes to either question?
 Some benefit, perhaps, but not enough to be worth the considerably
greater effort.

>  I also
> look at how a documents fits within the Independent Submissions Stream.
> It's quite straightforward for a specification as there is some guidance
> about that.  It is less obvious for this draft as I have to figure out
> in which other category to fit it in.

Perhaps you should review the requirements for Independent Stream.  For
example, on:

     https://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

     "The independent submission stream allows RFC publication for some
documents that are outside the official IETF/IAB/IRTF process but are
relevant to the Internet community and achieve reasonable levels of
technical and editorial quality. "

That's pretty general and this document certainly falls within that
scope, as I read it.

> The benefit of processing through the IETF Stream is that it could be
> read as meaning that the IETF is mature enough to handle
> self-criticism.  The risk is that the draft may not gain consensus.

As I said in my previous note, that would be fine if there were more
community interest.  The draft has been around for quite awhile but has
received minimal comment.

d/

--
Dave Crocker