Re: Last Call: Simple Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Dynamic Update to Proposed Standard

"Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com> Fri, 02 June 2000 20:34 UTC

To: Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, dee3@torque.pothole.com
Subject: Re: Last Call: Simple Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Dynamic Update to Proposed Standard
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:47:05 -0400
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

While draft-ietf-dnsext-simple-secure-update-01.txt replaces RFC 2137,
draft-ietf-dnsext-signing-auth-01.txt really just tweaks RFC 2535
which it is an order or magnitude shorter than.

I suppose 2137 could be declared historic but I'm not sure I see the
point.  People are not supposed to implement obsoleted RFCs and there
are some elements of RFC 2137 in
draft-ietf-dnsext-simple-secure-update-01.txt.  I think of Historic as
being for a protocol that has fallen from use or been replaced by a
completely new protocol, not for a stage in the evolution of the same
protocol (although such judgements are no doubt in the eye of the
beholder).  I think someone reading
draft-ietf-dnsext-simple-secure-update-01.txt should have RFC 2137 for
comparison rather than having RFC 2137 already on the trash heap,
although I have no doubt that almsot all will still prefer the new
draft.

Donald