Re: [dnsext] Clarifying the mandatory algorithm rules

"Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Thu, 18 November 2010 17:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:42:12 -0600
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Clarifying the mandatory algorithm rules

Phillip and all,

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker
Sent: Nov 18, 2010 7:46 AM
To: "W.C.A. Wijngaards"
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org

I can't quite understand why we would make a change to require acceptance of the unsigned zone in this case.

1) What is easier, for operators to change their behavior and sign before they publish keys or for resolvers to change their behavior.

2) What is more secure, to protect against the downgrade attack or to allow it for the sake of incompetent signers?

            Wait a second here.  If there are incompetant signers for 'old' alg's. than there will likely be similar for 'Approved'
          newer/different Alg's.  So niether is MORE secure than the other.

3) What is more sustainable? If the WG accepts this change, what is the probability others will implement a choice that appears eccentric and wrong?

                           Well I am often accused of being 'Eccentric', so I guess I would be wrong fairly often. >;)

Absent a really compelling reason to allow for zones to be signed in this way, I can't see why we would not change the operations section rather than the validation. Is there any reason that the operators cannot publish the signatures before the keys?

                         No.  But some operators are little more than the old term 'Tape Apes', even still.

The problem of what relying applications should to do when a zone is incorrectly signed is much more general than this one example and one that I don't think has been fully considered by those advocating end-to-end DNSSEC design with the validation taking place at the relying application.

This is a general problem in cryptographic protocols: if there is no possibility of an attack succeeding, there is no point in attempting the attack. Therefore the probability that a signature is failing because of an attack falls to zero and the overwhelming likelihood is that the cause of any failure is misconfiguration.

              Sound logic here.  BUT, there is no such thing as an attack proof crypto protocol.  And it is very
              unlikely that in my lifetime there ever will be.

There are controls that can be implemented to mitigate this but they depend on having more state information than an endpoint can acquire on its own.

        Agreed.