[dnsext] draft-li-dnsext-ipv4-ipv6 comments

Michael Graff <mgraff@isc.org> Wed, 29 July 2009 15:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:29:13 -0500
From: Michael Graff <mgraff@isc.org>
To: namedroppers@psg.com
Subject: [dnsext] draft-li-dnsext-ipv4-ipv6 comments
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

I do not like this draft in its current form.  Technical issues were
requested to be discussed here, so here goes.

(1)  The wording is confusing regarding "no new record type" but then
using "query type" -- it is effectively a meta-query type saying "return
A or AAAA records."  It will only be used in queries, so this seems like
an apt definition, but it will consume rr type address space.

(2)  It is a meta-type, which makes it scary to me for a number of
reasons.  If you ask for an A record, you get a clear yes/no answer.  If
you ask for AAAA, you get a clear yes/no answer.  However, if you ask
for this meta-type, you might get A, AAAA, both, or neither.  If you get
both, you know something useful, as with neither.  If you only get one
type, you don't really know if the other exists, or if the cache you
asked only had one of them.

(3)  We are concerned about packet sizes, and yet here is a proposal
that will drastically increase the size of an answer should DNSSEC be
involved.

I believe the purpose of this is not to minimize queries, so much as
giving the client as close to immediate response time.  That is, "give
me what you have and I'll try to use it!"  I believe however that this
will cause a strong bias to ipv4 since it is more likely that this
information may be cached, and will further bias statistics on ipv6 vs
ipv4 traffic in the wrong direction.

This can be somewhat mitigated if a recursive cache always asked for
both types when a client asks for A or AAAA, just in case someone might
later need it.  This will in general increase traffic per query but
probably not so much as multiple queries.

I propose this become an EDNS option, assuming the combined query has
merit -- which I feel it does.  That option would indicate on sending
that even though you are asking for A records, you also want AAAA if
available.  Perhaps this could be extended to other types, but initially
it should be restricted to A/AAAA only.  I would write it as "additional
types to return" so if a client asked specifically for an AAAA record,
an AAAA+A query could be issued, while if an A was asked for, an A+AAAA
would be issued.  This ensures progress should the option not be
understood upstream.

The response would include an EDNS option specifying the tri-state (I
know there is no record, I do not know if I have a record) for each type
NOT returned in the answer section, so the client can decide if it
should try harder if it really prefers one or the other option.

--Michael