Re: [DNSOP] Adoption of new EDNS opcode "rrserial"

Hugo Salgado <hsalgado@nic.cl> Mon, 10 May 2021 16:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 12:37:16 -0400
From: Hugo Salgado <hsalgado@nic.cl>
To: Mauricio Vergara Ereche <mave@cero32.cl>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Adoption of new EDNS opcode "rrserial"

Hello everyone. Thanks for the comments, I just uploaded an unchanged
version (just to revive it) at:
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-salgado-dnsop-RRSERIAL/

I agree RRSERIAL doesn't have much relevance in zones that don't give
serial versioning a meaning to its content. We can add a paragraph
about it, to make the applicability more clear. I also don't think we
should start to "deprecate" the SOA serial meaning at this point.
One can say that "modern" implementations using complex backends makes
SOA serials irrelevant, but there's certainly a use case for classic
and mainly static behavior. Just as NSID adds an "infrastructure"
identification dimension to a response, RRSERIAL adds the data
versioning dimension.

And responding to the comment that having multi-queries is better, is
something that is long overdue, and would certainly make this hack
obsolete. But I think the multi-query issues are so complex that it's
worth moving forward incrementally in the meantime. For the same
reason, I think we could aim for it to have "experimental" status at
the start, and after a few years we measure it to see its use and we
can adapt or change it to standard or deprecate it in favor of another
qtype.

Other issues that I think need more analysis is deciding whether it
makes any sense to expose RRSERIAL in resolvers. The original idea was
only in authoritatives, but it might make some sense to debug in
resolvers as well, to somehow identify the "data source" of a cached
record. In this sense, I fear an increase in cache requirements of
resolvers, which should somehow maintain the extra data; and also
in traffic and option availability for upstream auths.

Hugo