Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Thu, 01 August 2013 11:53 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Tim Wicinski <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com>, Jay Daley <jay@nzrs.net.nz>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 04:52:49 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

Tim and all,

On 1/08/13 9:21 PM, "Tim Wicinski" <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com> wrote:

>Jay
>
>I agree it's just "formats" and therefore it's just 'a simple bit of
>code',

Code is always changeable so long at there is solid motivation to do so.

>I tend to find the XML specifications get a bit heavy, and what I
>liked in Stephane's draft is that it has a very lightweight feel to it.

Yes, XML can sometimes be a heavy solution, but also has a set of
positives. It really depends on the implementation in which it is being
used. Classic "it depends" response - sorry! ;)

>(I will mention that the IESG is looking for reviewers for
>draft-manderson-rdns-xml-01 in case anyone feels extra motivated to
>assist in this).

Love to iterate this, draft-manderson-rdns-xml-01 was submitted via the
rfc-ise as it really is a specific item targeted at a provisioning portion
of the DNS hierarchy that has been in production for a number of years.
The draft is more to allow the transparency of ICANN operations in such
areas that makes sense with the hope that it can provide information to
other folk looking to implement similar systems, or spark the thought
processes in others that might come up with viable improvements.

Cheers
Terry