Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

Jay Daley <jay@nzrs.net.nz> Thu, 01 August 2013 11:50 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@nzrs.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 23:50:06 +1200
To: Tim Wicinski <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com>
Cc: dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

On 1/08/2013, at 11:21 PM, Tim Wicinski <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com> wrote:

> Jay
>
> I agree it's just "formats" and therefore it's just 'a simple bit of code', I tend to find the XML specifications get a bit heavy, and what I liked in Stephane's draft is that it has a very lightweight feel to it.

XML, especially in the IETF context, gets heavy because people use xml-schema or relaxng to define schemas to define and validate the XML.  JSON is not yet at that stage and so seems lighter, but that's generally due to simpler functionality.  When JSON schema is readily available I'm sure the differences will diminish.

> (I will mention that the IESG is looking for reviewers for draft-manderson-rdns-xml-01 in case anyone feels extra motivated to assist in this).

There's so little to it I'm happy to review and will do soon.

Jay