Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

Jay Daley <jay@nzrs.net.nz> Wed, 31 July 2013 07:10 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@nzrs.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:10:19 +1200
To: Tim Wicinski <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com>
Cc: dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] dnsxml - A standard XML representation of DNS data

Hi Tim

On 31/07/2013, at 6:05 PM, Tim Wicinski <tim.wicinski@teamaol.com> wrote:

> Jay
>
> Couple of things here:  It's a little last minute to throw it onto the agenda, and we'll need to have some of that discussion.

I'm not there and don't worry I wasn't trying to get it onto the agenda.  I've sat on this for so long I just had to get it out this week or it would have been another year.

> Second, there is another document floating out there on rDNS http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-manderson-rdns-xml-01

Thanks, I'll take a read.

> I would suspect that we'll need to break down how each one document affects the other (are the complimentary or overlapping, etc.).

Agreed.  Mine is very much targeted at representing DNS data in the best way possible and not any protocol that wraps around it.

> Then there is the entire "if XML is the answer in 2013, what really is the question?" question.

My own view is that XML is already being used for DNS data in a number of places (e.g. control of Nominum servers) that the question has already been asked and answered.

cheers
Jay