Re: [DNSOP] WGLC draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-03.txt until 2012-09-14

Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@nlnetlabs.nl> Mon, 27 August 2012 12:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:48:12 +0200
From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@nlnetlabs.nl>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] WGLC draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-03.txt until 2012-09-14

Hi,

On 08/24/2012 07:54 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 23:49 +0200 8/23/12, Peter Koch wrote:
>> Dear DNSOP WG,
>>
>> this is to initiate a working group last call (WGLC) for
>>
>> "DNSSEC Key Timing Considerations"
>> draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-03.txt
>>
>> <http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing/>
>

> First, my blanket objection to the draft, which isn't meant to be
> an insult to the effort that has gone into it.
>
> The draft is too detailed.
>
> Ok, I get that that is the purpose.  And it achieves that, and
> probably should be lauded for that and be published for that.  But,
> as an operator/implementor, the draft doesn't cut to the chase.
>
> I first mentioned this a long time ago, and usually would just let
> it drop.  But in the last few weeks a senior developer said the
> same to me - it's really well detailed, but very complex.  He also
> added that our design complied with it in a very simplified form.
> I replied that that was no accident. ;)
>
> So - I admire this draft, but wish there was a Gerber-ized
> version. (Gerber being a brand of baby food.)

Talking about complexity, finding the most Gerber-ized version of this
document might be a NP-complete problem ;)

> To give a concrete example of what I mean by too detailed - Dprp
> (propagation delay) is something that can be ignored with the
> advent of NOTIFY and IXFR.  Theoretically it is there, practically
> it isn't there.
>
> Some specific comments:
>
> Section 2.1
>
> #   Of three methods, Double-Signature is conceptually the simplest
> - #   introduce the new key and new signatures, then approximately
> one TTL #   later remove the old key and old signatures.
> Pre-Publication is more
>
> Which TTL?  The TTL of the DNSKEY set, the TTL that is the largest
> value of all the TTLs in the zone, etc.?

I'll make it worse. In this case it's the largest value of all TTLs in
a range of *previous versions* of the zones. Suppose that largest
value has been lowered in the latest version of the zone, we still
need to take into account that the predecessor data is cached for that
large amount of time.

> Because of that question, I disagree that double signature is the
> simplest.  (I'm just sayin', that's my opinion.)  I think pre-pub
> is simpler because I know what TTL is involved (DNSEKEY).  For
> signatures, the TTL might vary through the set.

Simplest here I guess refers to shortest, or, the least steps involved.

> Section 2.3
>
> #
> +------------------+------------------+-----------------------------+

#   | ZSK Method       | KSK Method       | Description                 |
> #
> +------------------+------------------+-----------------------------+

#   | Pre-Publication  | (not applicable) | Publish the DNSKEY before   |
> #   |                  |                  | the RRSIGs.
> |

> Why is this "not applicable" for KSK?  A KSK can be listed before
> it is used as one.

But it has no use to publish a KSK DNSKEY before its accompanying
signature: When there is a DS record, the KSK that is referred to
should also sign the DNSKEY RRset. When there is not yet a DS record,
it should not be introduced until the KSK and its accompanying
signature have been propagated to the caches.

> Perhaps it isn't "not applicable" but "not
> realistic/sensible/practical".

Not sensible would be the most sensible here :).

Best regards,
  Matthijs