Re: [DNSOP] WGLC draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-03.txt until 2012-09-14

Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@nlnetlabs.nl> Thu, 06 September 2012 10:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:29:26 +0200
From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs@nlnetlabs.nl>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] WGLC draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-03.txt until 2012-09-14

Hi,

Here is my review. There are some small comments and some larger
comments, but I decided to report them in order of appearance.

* Section 1.1. Key Rolling Considerations.

- Bullet point 2 takes into account DNSSEC boot-strapping. The document
is mainly about key timings in a rollover event. Section 3.3.5 talks a
bit about introducing a first key. I am questioning that the topic on
enabling DNSSEC is so small in this document that it may be better to
remove this bullet point and section 3.3.5.

- A style remark. In bullet point 4: I would remove the brackets around
the last sentence.

- Another style remark. The last sentence talks about key-signing keys
and zone signing keys. Inconsistency with the "-".

* Section 1.2. Types of Keys

- In the last sentence of paragraph 2, make clear that also the RRSIG of
the DNSKEY RRset is important:

     In the case of the KSK, the information is the self-signed DNSKEY
     and the DS RRset...                            ^^^^^^^^^^^

* Section 2.1. ZSK Rollovers

- Bullet point 2, second paragraph. "Once the signing process is
complete and enough time has elapsed to allow all old information to
expire from caches, ...". It is actually more about the new information
to propagate to caches, so I would suggest to replace it with:

     Once the signing process is complete and enough time has elapsed to
     allow all new information to propagate to caches, ...
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- The final paragraph, which summarizes the three ZSK rollover
methods, can it be removed? The section itself is already a summary of
the possible ZSK rollovers, I don't see any value in this final paragraph.

* Section 2.2. KSK Rollovers

- Nit: Paragraph 4 starts with "Like the ZSK case, ..." which to me
seems to insinuate that the number of KSK rollover methods is related to
the number of ZSK rollover methods. I would like to see it removed.

- Bullet point 1 says that the ZSK Double Signature rollover is also
known as Double-DNSKEY. I have not heard of this term before reading
this document. Is it really known as? If not, please remove it to avoid
unnecessary confusion. Also, again: don't say waiting for old
information to expire, but waiting for new information to propagate.

* Section 2.3. Summary

- KSK Double-Signature has the description "Publish the DNSKEY and
RRSIGs at the same time." But actually that is true for all KSK
rollovers. In fact, I think this table doesn't have much value and I
argue that it can be removed.

* Section 3.1. Key States

- Repeating myself: These key states are not sufficient to describe the
rollover time lines. See the comments below on the rollover time lines.

* Section 3.2.1. (ZSK) Pre-Publication Method

- Style inconsistency: The first line uses capitals for "Pre-Publication
rollover", while in other sections the rollover names are completely
lowercased.

- A general note on the Events 1: It explains every time why there are
different times for key generation and publication. This can be done
only once with a note that this is also true for the other Events 1.

- Event 8 talks about "an expired DNSKEY RRset in the cache". Seems a
contradiction to me.

* Section 3.2.2. (ZSK) Double-Signature Method

- Event 3: The current key is said to be retired. However, the key state
definition of "retired" is:

     A successor key has become active and this key is no longer being
     used to generated RRSIGS.

But in this rollover, it is required to have the current key generate
signatures, otherwise there are no double signatures and the
Double-Signature rollover can make the zone go bogus. In short, the key
state in this event does not match the key state description.

* Section 3.2.3. (ZSK) Double-RRSIG Method

- The first line mentions double-signature rollover, should be
double-RRSIG.

- Event 5: "The key is now said to be active". Actually, according to
the key state description, the key was already active earlier:

     The key has started to be used to sign RRsets.

With ZSK Double-RRSIG, the key has started to be used to sign RRsets in
Event 2.

* Section 3.3.1. (KSK) Double-Signature Method

- Event 5: The time that the key becomes active, but the key state
description of "active" only takes about creating signatures, not about
the so-called security chain.

- Event 9: Also the key state description of "retired" doesn't mention
the security chain, but is only aligned for ZSK rollovers.

These two comments are also for the other KSK time lines.

* Section 5. Algorithm Considerations

- Paragraph 1: "... using a single algorithm." -> "using the same
cryptographic algorithm".

* Section 7. Summary

- The second paragraph says that the Double-RRset rollover is the most
efficient method for KSKs. While this is true if you look at the
duration of the rollover, this is not true for the number of parent
interactions. In fact, in the following line, the document says that the
time take to roll KSKs depends on factors related to the (signed)
parent. So if the parent interaction is a slow process, the KSK
Double-Signature rollover might even be faster than the Double-RRset
method, since it only requires one parent interaction.

That's all:)

Best regards,
   Matthijs