Re: [dnsop] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-03.txt

"J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@club-internet.fr> Mon, 29 November 2004 19:23 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:20:37 +0100
To: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@NLnetLabs.nl>, dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu
From: "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@club-internet.fr>
Subject: Re: [dnsop] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnsop-bad-dns-res-03.txt
Cc: Rob Austein <sra@isc.org>
Sender: owner-dnsop@lists.uoregon.edu

Full support of this comment, from previous projects using so called
numeric names (X.121, post codes) and from the current important usage of
"numeric names" for their soundex meaning in non ASCII countries (China,
Korea, etc). A generalization of numeric names in considering the current
DNS character set as "-0Z" numbers is also a simple and culturally
acceptable way to keep ASCII DNS used for technical purpose or common
reference in ML.ML environment. Other projects for supporting company EIN
or individual SSN exist through the world. Introducing such a
discrimination seems impossible today, even for special projects/TLDs.

There is NO structural difference in DNS between a figure and a character.
There should not be any in usage and code. Most TLDs impose no restriction
on all numeric names.

I will note that "domain names resembling IP addresses" was the main
problem we met 20 years ago when interfacing the DoD ARPA Internet to the
International public packet switch network . The International names order
was left to right (left being the root name - in Internet speak the TLD)
and did not use dots. They added ".arpa" to internet names (see the RFC of
the time), so we got the names we needed and made them "ARPANAMES" on the
fly at the gateway. It worked well and we pasted our com, net, ISO 3166
table as every where. But this created a conflict with IP addresses when
they also shown-up (when we tested with Telenet too if I am correct).
Because their reversed concatenation could be understood as an X.121
address: we supported foreign network addresses as a numeric names in 50
countries. The solution they agreed and we accepted was the trailing
dot-root, as IP have no root. We only checked the last byte for a dot or
not. I do not know the details on the Internet side, but this turned to be
reliable (I assumed the international support and we got only a few
problems), but I am sure nobody was really happy with that kind of trick.
It made the entire interoperability between two major systems depending on
a single y/n parameter in pasted files by unaccustomed techies (each team
only had one machine to operate among many others not using that specific
feature).

I will add that one of the nice feature of numeric names is flexibility
(for example variable length addresses). You will never prevent people to
use that flexibility. So, this option will probably meet a lof of
exceptions. A probable nightmare.

However, experience shows that virtual zones can be proposed in filtering
all the names to split the load among machines. In particular the "xn--"
names could be supported by separated servers?
jfc

.