Re: [DNSOP] terminology: glue

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Mon, 04 May 2015 16:27 UTC

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 12:27:01 -0400
To: dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
Cc: "Stephen D. Crocker" <steve@shinkuro.com>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] terminology: glue

Glue records are necessary to prevent circular references, i.e. to cut the loop.  The most obvious and common situation is where the name server is below the cut.  If the address of the name server were not included, the querying system would keep being referred to the parent, i.e. stuck in a loop of length 1.  It is also possible to have loops of length 2 or more, though these will be quite rare.  If the name servers for A are below B, and the name servers for B are below A, if glue records are not included for either, the querier will bounce back and forth between A and B without ever succeeding.

It would be nice if the definition of glue records included the complete picture, though that might make it harder for people to understand the basic case.  So, a brief bit of explanatory and example text in addition to the formal definition would also be advisable.

Steve