Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gersch-dnsop-revdns-cidr-00.txt

"Marc Lampo" <marc.lampo@eurid.eu> Mon, 20 February 2012 13:41 UTC

From: Marc Lampo <marc.lampo@eurid.eu>
To: 'Joseph Gersch' <joe.gersch@secure64.com>, dnsop@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:41:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gersch-dnsop-revdns-cidr-00.txt

Hello,

(sorry – previously sent email was not finished …)

Some “typographic” remarks :
1) 5.2 IPv4 Address Block Naming → IPv6 Address Block Naming
2) In 5.2 there are 2 examples that have missing “::”,
(2607:fa88:8000:/33 → 2607:fa88:8000::/33 and
2607:fa88:8000:/35 → 2607:fa88:8000::/35)
in 5.3 there is 1 example with missing “::”.
(2607:fa88:8000:/36 → 2607:fa88:8000::/36)

About “content” :
1) 3. Design Requirement → 2. Coverage Authority.
“Any … with a data record or NXDOMAIN …”
to be completed with : NODATA
→ “Any … with a data record or NODATA or NXDOMAIN …”

2) In 5.2 IPv6 Address Block Naming
Why not add some examples to show conversion from a reverse-DNS name back to
CIDR ?
(just like in 5.1)

Globally :
1) It is implied by the content of the present draft,
but should it be stated (in Design Requirements)
that the proposal should be valid for both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses ?

2) In the Introduction, where you correctly state that ISP’s pre-populate
reverse DNS,
the problem is stated that the approach of pre-populating does not scale for
IPv6.
However, by itself, this draft does not solve that problem, does it ?
(needs programmatic support)
(this example in the Introduction made me think/assume that this draft
 also applies to “simple” reverse mapping.  In which case I wondered how
 this draft does away with CNAME (a la RFC 2317).
 But then, after rereading it occurred to me that this draft is about
storing
 CIDR info in revdns.
 → isn’t it confusing to give, in the intro, an example that does not apply
to CIDR info ?
(it got at least me confused, not that I’d want to be taken as a reference
;-)

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo
Security Officer