Re: [DNSOP] More after onion? was Re: Some distinctions and a request

"John Levine" <johnl@taugh.com> Wed, 01 July 2015 20:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 20:41:51 -0000
From: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Cc: rlb@ipv.sx
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] More after onion? was Re: Some distinctions and a request

>+many to what Warren says.
>
>We do our best work when we do engineering, not rule-making.  Let's
>engineer a solution here that's more appealing than squatting.  For my
>money, alt-TLD looks about right.

I agree.  On the other hand, since we are not the tsars of the
Internet, it is fairly likely that no matter what we do, someone will
start using .ramp (a stronger version of .onion) rather than .ramp.alt
and it will become widely enough used that it makes technical sense to
keep it out of the DNS, like .onion and .home.

That would not be a disaster.  I don't even see it as a problem, so
long as we have a process to weigh the pros and cons and decide
whether to add it to the list of domain names that are excluded from
the DNS.  (It may cause gnashing of teeth at ICANN as it screws up
someone's business plan, which is definitely not our problem.)

I suppose that if we update RFC 6761 it would be polite to send a note
to ICANN reminding them that anyone who wants to add a new TLD to the
DNS should consider as one of the risks that it collides with a name
that is excluded for technical reasons, but I see no reason to go
farther than that.

R's,
John