Re: [DNSOP] [dns-privacy] FW: New Version Notification for draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-00

Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz> Mon, 20 March 2017 14:31 UTC

To: Lanlan Pan <abbypan@gmail.com>, Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene@senki.org>
Cc: dns-privacy@ietf.org, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, "fuyu@cnnic.cn" <fuyu@cnnic.cn>
From: Petr Špaček <petr.spacek@nic.cz>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:31:35 +0100
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [dns-privacy] FW: New Version Notification for draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-00

Hello,

On 20.3.2017 08:49, Lanlan Pan wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Because the draft discussed the DNS privacy problem of ECS, and was first presented in In NDSS 2017 DNS Privacy Workshop, so I cc the email to dprive WG.
>

> Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene@senki.org <mailto:bgreene@senki.org>>于
> 2017年3月19日周日 上午2:22写道:
>
>     Hello Yu Fu,
>
>     I was not at the workshop. Warren already mentioned some issues. I
>     second what he is saying in a stronger terms:
>
>     + What you are proposing has no value for optimizing content
>     delivery on the Internet. Physical location and the topology of
>     content delivery do not match. Also, Anycast is used. It is NOT
>     expensive. The reason why so many CDN operator use DNS based tools
>     for content delivery is granularity of action. An edge compute
>     system (i.e. what many CDNs are) can do all sorts of checks via DNS
>     approach vs an Anycast approach.
>

> Everyone has known that physical location and the topology of content
> delivery DO NOT MATCH.
> As last mail reply to Warren, my proposal can offer the SAME critical
> information for authoritative server to make tailored response decision
> as ECS's client subnet.
> Because in database such as maxmind,  ECS (client subnet) can be map
> into <AS number,  country, province, ISP>, which also guide network
> topology.
> Therefore, if ECS has ANY value for optimizing content delivery on the
> Internet, then EIL has.
>
> For example,If ECS is tell AUTH :  the query is from 114.240.0.0/24
> <http://114.240.0.0/24>. The AUTH knows that ECS(114.240.0.0/24
> <http://114.240.0.0/24>) is indicated (CHINA, BEIJING, UNICOM), which is
> not only geolocation, but also contains network topology information.
> Then AUTH can return satisfied ip address according to the topology of
> content delivery.

Thank you for this example, it helps.

> For user privacy concern, we can revise  ECS(114.240.0.0/24
> <http://114.240.0.0/24>) => EIL (CHINA, BEIJING, UNICOM),give a
> tradeoff between privacy and precise.

Nice, this sounds like appropriate tradeoff to me.

Side-effect of this is that it removes need to maintain copies of
various Geo-IP databases all over the place, which is an improvement to
operational practice.

To sum it up, I support this. Nice work!

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC